Absurdity done in Complete Sincerity
Welcome to Light Opera of Portland. The Light Opera of Portland features Gilbert & Sullivan and other light opera productions. This site provides information on the company, our upcoming performances, cast and crew, as well as information for LOoP members.
- Position Announcement–Artistic Director
Light Opera of Portland – an all-volunteer, non-profit, performing arts organization – is seeking a new Artistic Director. The successful candidate will be expected to work with the Board and Producer, and oversee the appointed Stage Director of each production, as well as the Stage manager, Choreographer, Costume Director, to insure and maintain artistic consistency of all productions and ultimately be responsible for the formulation, planning, and implementation of the artistic vision of LOoP. Further, the artistic director will show a strong commitment to fulfilling the potential of LOoP as an artistic and community resource for performers and the general public. The Artistic Director may serve as the Stage Director when appropriate.
About the company
The mission of Light Opera of Portland is to be a resident musical repertory company performing live light opera and musical theatre productions and specializing in the works of Gilbert and Sullivan. The company offers rising performing artists and crew opportunities to develop their musical and stage craft skills.
LOoP casts from its membership for leading roles and chorus and holds occasional open auditions for company membership. Since 2012, LOoP has produced two fully-staged shows each season, with excerpts occasionally performed throughout the greater Portland area.
Ideal characteristics of the Artistic Director include
- a deep appreciation and knowledge of light opera as an art form, especially the works of Gilbert and Sullivan
- artistic vision in production design
- openness to contributions from artistic and technical staff while maintaining overall cohesion in production design.
- skill and sensitivity in directing singing actors
- clear and amiable communication with community and other cultural organizations
Desired experience of the Artistic Director includes
- prior creative direction, artistic direction, and/or stage direction in a theater company or educational institution
- ability to maintain high artistic standards and work collaboratively with other artists and administrators
- creative utilization of existing resources when planning a season
Duties of the Artistic Director to include but not be limited to
- overseeing all artistic aspects of productions
- developing and implementing programs for the season, based on monetary potential and knowledge of available cast members
- recruiting artistic personnel for membership in the troupe
- working jointly with the Musical Director, organizing and running auditions, and making casting decisions
- reporting to Board on artistic activity
- acting as a spokesperson for the organization’s artistic purpose via speaking engagements, public and social appearances, and at fundraising events and solicitations
Please note that at this time, this is a volunteer, non-compensated opportunity.
As this is a volunteer company, most rehearsals and meetings will be conducted during evenings and weekends.
LOoP is currently undergoing a search for new performing and rehearsal venues.
To apply, please submit a resume and a letter of interest to email@example.com